BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

..:: umbrella=0 mother nature=3 ::..

SO when they were calling for a stormy weekend I couldn't have imagined how stormy it would actually turn out to be!! When I woke up Saturday morning and it was raining I refused to let the weather hold me back! If I could venture out in a snow storm then why should a little rain stop me? Boy was I wrong!! It was insanity!!! Not only was it pouring rain without any signs of slowing but the WIND was crazyyy!!!! The subways were flooded, trains couldn't run into New Jersey and people were being killed by falling trees - like I said INSANITY! What I had planned was just to walk up 5th Ave. just to window shop...well duh that was a bad idea... by the time I got to the subway to go to my final destination I had dropped some SERIOUS money - basically blew my budget right out of the water...damn. Can't take money to the grave though right?!?! LOL

So after my unacceptable shopping spree and the loss of my first umbrella I made it up to Harlem to go to the Museum of the City of New York to see the Charles Addams art exhibit featuring his original Addams Family comics from the New Yorker. While the trek to get there was miserable, I'm glad I went - I really liked the Addams Family show on YTV so I appreciated learning about it's origins. On the way back to the subway was when I lost my second umbrella but kept it and struggled to keep dry with it's three broken prongs.

At my Tiffany's & Co. stop I decided to put my necklace in to get cleaned so on my way back home I had to go back and pick it up at 5. On my way back to Tiffany's I saw a girl get hit by a taxi - which is actually as scary as it sounds. I'm still a little rattled by the girl getting killed in the subway so hearing this crash didn't help. It happened pretty much in the heart of the hurricane and she was flustered and had her hood down so she could only see in front of her. So when she looked up and saw the walk sign she just went for it but I saw the cab running the red through the intersection. It happened so fast and I for sure thought one of them would see the other so I couldn't even shout out - to I looked away at the last possible second and heard the hit right beside me. It sounded like she got crushed the way her body slammed into the cab (which was a Ford Escape model). She was probably in a lot of shock because I heard her talking and peaked under my umbrella to see her still standing, rubbing her knee and I could see the side mirror on the cab folded in. I didn't linger too long because I didn't know what to do - and was moderately traumatized! So that experience only added to the day... it was also shortly after that I had to give up on my failing umbrella and take on the hurricane head on. So needless to say when I arrived back at Tiffany's I was in ROUGH shape LOL. I was in such a miserable mood I sprung for a cab home and once I got home refused to go out again even though it was only 5:30 lol. I took the BEST hot shower and just lazed around the rest of the night. I was only after the shower the excitement of all my new things finally settled in - OH and the guilt of spending so much money :S! LOL

Here is a picture I snapped on Monday on my way to work representing the umbrella carnage that was the aftermath of the hurricane... this was nothing compared to the streets littered with broken umbrellas and trash cans full of them...

0 comments: